Lately I have been craving cinnamon rolls and I have been searching all over Pinterest for a good recipe but I couldn’t find one that I really liked or that I had all the ingredients for so I just decided to mess around and try to make my own! I literally made this recipe up at 1 AM last night after sorting through a bunch of different recipes and pulling a few ideas from a couple different recipes! And let me tell you…these turned out to be so gooey & absolutely delicious! They’re also relatively easy and don’t have yeast! Even without the yeast these rolls are still super light and the dough is so fluffy! I also prepared these the night before and then baked them the next morning for an easy, quick breakfast!
This recipe is 100% gluten free but this is a recipe where I sort of “forget” that I am also intolerant to dairy. However, if you would like to make it dairy free as well you could try swapping the greek yogurt out with dairy free yogurt! I haven’t tried that yet so I’m not exactly sure how much of a difference it would make but it is definitely something you could try!
I hope you all give these a try and please share with me how you like them!
- 4 cups Bob’s Gluten Free 1-1 Baking Flour (or any other gluten free all purpose flour)
- 2 cups of plain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 coconut sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk (I made dairy free buttermilk by mixing 1 cup of almond milk with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar)
- 3 tbs water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbs melted butter
- 1 egg (optional–to brush on top of rolls before baking)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbs almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- To make the dough, in a large bowl, combine flour, coconut sugar, baking powder & soda, and salt.
- Add in the greek yogurt and begin to combine. Once the yogurt is worked in, add the buttermilk and water and mix until the dough starts to form.
- Lay down a sheet of parchment paper and flour this surface. Put the dough on this surface and begin to knead until it is well combined and form it into a ball.
- Use a rolling pin (or in my case a Yeti water bottle) to roll this dough out until flat and level at about 1/4 inch thick.
- In a small bowl, combine the coconut sugar and cinnamon for the filling. Use a brush to spread the melted butter on the dough (use all the butter it makes the rolls so gooey!) and then spread the cinnamon sugar mixture all over the top of the dough.
- Now roll up the dough! Use the parchment paper to help you guide and roll across the long side of the dough. Make sure the roll in tight so that the swirl looks tight when you cut it!
- Next, you can either wrap this up in parchment paper and tin foil and bake them off the next day (this is what I did), or cut the roll into about 1/2 inch slices and place in a baking dish. Brush the top with either more butter or an egg wash.
- Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 30-35 minutes.
- After the rolls have cooked, make the icing while the rolls are cooling down. Combine powdered sugar, almond milk and vanilla extract. Then pour on top of the cooled rolls and serve!
These are so yummy and such a nice treat in the morning for the whole family! I hope you all give these a try! Happy baking! xoxo